[sw-l] export from one dictionnary to another

Stephen Slevinski slevinski at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Thu Feb 3 20:32:40 UTC 2005

Hi Val,

The export to PNGs is needed, so I added it.

Under Export, there is a new option to download (or create) a zip file that
contains the PNGs from the dictionary.  This is not the final solution.

Known defects and issues:
Diacritics don't work properly
Creating the zip file can take several minutes

-Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu]On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 12:51 PM
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] export from one dictionnary to another

SignWriting List
February 3, 2005

Dear SW List, Anny and Stephen -
Thank you both, for this important discussion of the need for a variety
of EXPORT features in SignPuddle someday...All of these features will
take time to develop, and we all must be patient, but when they are
ready, they will be great...

Here is what I feel we need someday, with a user-friendly interface:

1. DICTIONARY EDITORS: The ability to LOAD single signs from other
SignPuddles
When they search for a sign to change it, they will also be able to
search for signs in OTHER SignPuddles.
Then they will be able to LOAD signs into SignMaker, whether they be
from their own dictionary, or another dictionary, and then be able to
change it, rename it, and add it to their own dictionary. This is not
an export, but a multi-dictionary search and load...There are some
signs that are used the same in all countries...or are so similar to
each other, that to re-do them seems like unnecessary work...

2. EXPORT to PNGS on your Desktop
The ability to export an entire dictionary into a folder on your
desktop that holds all the PNGs from one dictionary. And this should be
a one-button process that has nothing to do with SWML...This will be
used a lot by graphics artists and other people who are not in need of
SWML...I have received several requests for this already...and even I
would use it!!

3. EXPORT to SWML
Which I know you already have, Stephen, explained very well below...

Thank you for all the wonderful features you have given us! We love
SignPuddle and SignMaker!!

Val ;-)