[sw-l] Free SignPuddles, plus project-specific SignBanks....

Thu Feb 24 16:13:17 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
February 24, 2005

Dear SW List!
Thank you for your many messages...I really enjoyed them and I
appreciate all the well-wishes. The reason you have not heard from me
much, in the past few days, is because I have been in the process of
writing a grant for a new project, SignBank International, or SignBank
2005-2007...A three year project that will inter-connect the SignBank
database in FileMaker on your desktop, with the SignPuddle programs on
the web. The data will be able to flow between the web and your
computer desktop easily...I call it a Web-to-Desktop program...

We are also planning to offer special private SignBanks on the web,
that are like SignPuddle, but for a specific group that pays a fee to
have their own web area on SignPuddle, for their specific project...so
that no one can add a new sign that is not correct to their
databank...There are research groups that need to have a way to add
signs to a dictionary that is controlled by their project's needs...and
with a fee we can set this all up for them, and give them the full tech
support they need to complete their big databanks...Plus we will be
adding a way to add video clips and other new features, for the
project-specific SignBanks. This means we need a bigger web server and
more bandwidth, and starting this weekend, Stephen Slevinski and I will
be moving our entire sites over to this new larger server on
DeafVision...so it will be a busy two weeks moving our sites...

Meanwhile, SignPuddle will continue to be free and open to the public.
It is stimulating so many people to be creative and it must remain free
and open...

So if you know of a research group that is applying for funding right
now, to create their own web databank for their Sign Language, and they
are just starting and it is a lot of work and money for them to pay
programmers to set this up for them, tell them now, on the SignBank
site, they could have their own web area just for their project, and
our fee will be much smaller than what they would have to pay other
programmers to do it...since we have experience....They can write to me
to find out what it would cost and how to get started...It is an
exciting idea to have both public and private SignBanks, that can
intertwine, with full tech support from two programmers, and myself...

So I am now going to start teaching some SignWriting on the List again,
and I hope you all are enjoying these lessons...I enjoy your
participation and feeback too!!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org