[sw-l] Re: Thesis -- more than anecdotal

James Shepard-Kegl, Esq. kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Sat Feb 26 18:18:04 UTC 2005

Ingvild,

 But it may well be that in order for us to be
> sucessfull in that argument, we will have to show that this system also
> gives deaf chioldren better literacy in the majority language. - We are
> plannin gto do a study in Norway along those lines, but I do not know if we
> will be able to get the funding yet.

In order to do this study, it seems to me that some Deaf students will need
to master SignWriting, then use their skills to learn Norwegian.  You will
then need to objectively compare their abilities with those of traditionally
educated Deaf students.

In Bluefields, Nicaragua, it took us years to produce sufficient literature
in SignWriting and to develop Spanish grammar books and reading lessons
intended for Deaf students who are literate in their native sign language.
In addition to designing our curriculum from nothing, we then had to train
our teachers (recruited from our students), before working with the younger
students.

This study you are proposing in Norway -- what did you have in mind for a
timeline?

On an overlooked tangent -- SW is integral to teaching math, as well.  This
assumes that someone has taken the time to design math textbooks with verbal
problems presented in sign language.

-- James