[sw-l] mouthing in the EU

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Sun Feb 27 04:34:35 UTC 2005

Well, it is my understanding that the actual sign is the same but the
Hungarian word mouthing distinguishes the actual meaning of the sign. A
Deaf American couple I know who live and work in Hungary explained it
to me. They said it made it much harder for them to learn Hungarian
Sign Language because they must also learn the spoken Hungarian in
these cases to be able to distinguish the meanings of the signs. Now, I
don't know if that is similar or different to the way mouthing is used
in other European Sign Languages. I can only comment on what I have
heard.

Thanks,

Stuart