[sw-l] International Mother Language Day use of SW

Adam Frost icemandeaf at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 2 16:41:06 UTC 2005

Signuno,
I would be more than glad to translate into ASL. BTW, I am still working on the other document that you asked before. I have not forgotten. ;-) Because I do not have access to an SW programs at the moment, the only way that I can give you the translation when it is done is by posting it on my webpage. I will let you know as soon as it is done, which I hope will be sooner than later.
Adam
-----Original Message-----
From: Signuno <signuno at yahoo.fr>
Date: 02/02/05 02:28 AM
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: [sw-l] International Mother Language Day use of SW

To celebate International Mother Language Day the
message at
http://uea.org/informado/gepatralingvotago.html (see
the PDF files) will be handed into the Unesco office
and to others.  With your help SW can be included.

I have suggested to UEA that SW be used also, and they
have replied that they'd be most happy, if I can get
the translations!  I used signpuddle to create
automatically
http://www.geocities.com/signuno/feb21_asl.html , but
of course I'd want a real ASL SW translation.  And I'd
like translations in other sign languages too.  Send
the SW translation to me <signuno AT yahoo.fr> and
announce to this list that you're translating.

The text to translate is at (en=English fr=French etc)
http://uea.org/informado/gepatralingvotagoA3en.pdf
http://uea.org/informado/gepatralingvotagoA3fr.pdf
http://uea.org/informado/gepatralingvotagoA3de.pdf
http://uea.org/informado/gepatralingvotagoA3it.pdf
http://uea.org/informado/gepatralingvotagoA3mt.pdf
http://uea.org/informado/gepatralingvotagoA3pt.pdf
(more soon probably).

I've cut and paste the English text here for your
convenience:

PLEASE TRANSLATE INTO SW:
All people should have the right to learn their mother
tongue and the international language.

[...] real education is impossible through a foreign
medium [...] the vernacular medium alone can stimulate
originality in thought in the largest number of
persons.
Mahatma Gandhi (1920), Young India 16/6

The only goal of the international language Esperanto
is to give the different peoples of the world [...]
the ability to understand each other. It has no
intention of interfering in their internal language
use.
Lazar Ludwig Zamenhof (1900), Essence and future of
the idea of an international language.

In support of Unesco‘s International Mother Language
Day, on 21 February every year:
World Esperanto Association
Nieuwe Binnenweg 176, NL-3015 BJ Rotterdam, the
Nederlands
www.esperanto.net
END OF TRANSLATION REQUEST

thanks,