[sw-l] LESSONS in Finger Movements

Thu Feb 17 17:46:08 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
February 17, 2005

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> in fact I did not know about this difference between
>
> Close-Close and Close-Open-Close --  ;-((
>
> Do you remember a sign (ASL) with "Close - Open - Close"
>
> Maybe its a decission of feeling like the  movement down, down  -
> instead of
> down, up , down

Yes. That's right. It is a different emphasis...Close-Close is uneven
in timing. The down motion is important, but the tiny little up that is
inbetween the two, is not written because it is not important.

BUT...Close-Open-Close gives equal timing to all three movements...So
there is a real difference in the feeling of the movement...And this
timing issue is a Writing Rule that has been a part of the writing
system for decades now...

It is great that you wrote your example, Stefan...otherwise we would
never have known that you did not realize this! So I hope that Kathleen
and Sara will participate too, if you have time...the more you post
your own writing, the more I can see what needs to be taught...

Close-Close seems to be the most used in different signed
languages...but there are examples of BOTH in most signed
languages...Here are two ASL signs that show the difference: