[sw-l] Albuquerque Public Schools

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Thu Jan 20 17:51:43 UTC 2005

Val,

Glad to know that Albuquerque have backed the ideal of Written ASL

Any reports or papers being done on this? It would give the SW project in NI
more strength and backing.

Shane

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: 20 January 2005 17:37
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: [sw-l] SignWriting at Gallaudet...

SignWriting List
January 20, 2005

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa wrote:
> A wee question - is SW being used at all at Gally? Why not ask them to
> go
> "bilingual" proper by having 2 written languages on doors/signs etc ie
> written ASL and written English? It can make SW more desirable to
> learn.

The Gallaudet bookstore orders around 20 SignWriting dictionaries a
year. And I know some individual Deaf students and a few teachers use
SignWriting a bit, judging by the email I receive. But officially, I do
not know of any use of SignWriting within their curriculum. There are a
lot of schools in the US. SignWriting has been used in the Albuquerque
Public Schools for years...so that is our official pilot project in the
US...