[sw-l] the Amsterdam Manifesto

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Thu Jan 20 23:54:54 UTC 2005

Signuno,

English was forced on the European Union anyway - think NATO ;-)

It is well known that people who can speak more than 2 spoken/written
languages are more desirable - more in demand etc - than monolingual people
- and more and more jobs in the European Commission and European Union have
called for people with at least 3 languages! :o

The Manifesto recommends either ASL or BSL as the working language at
international conferences - and for Europe, that’s usually BSL - and BSL is
now used by many Europeans...so its already there - so shall we try and stop
it while its going?

The EUD won't decide on anything - and no, it is not the matter of
discrimination - Helga Stevens, the former EUD director, is good with her
BSL :) - yet she know many languages.

Signuno or Gestuno won't work - I go around Europe on a regular basis and I
find that I understand people better if they go and use their national sign
languages - but not everyone would be good at picking up languages or have
the time to go around Europe etc.

I prefer using NISL - but there are not many Europeans who know NISL so BSL
is the next best thing for communication on the European level. I know how
to separate my NISL from my BSL so others have no problems either.

Shane