[sw-l] Who uses ASL?

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Tue Jan 25 09:10:54 UTC 2005

Dan,

It’s the same in Northern Ireland - there are some people who feel that our
language here should be called Northern Ireland Sign Language but other
people feel that it should remain as British Sign Language (even though our
dialect here have the different grammar from BSL - more European in the
grammar) - sadly there's no proper sign language research into this yet -
but my work, the SLCB, will (hopefully) change this.

Shane

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of dparvaz at MAC.COM
Sent: 24 January 2005 07:00
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Who uses ASL?

Now that I think of it, the video sample presented to me as LESCO was a
little *too* familiar-looking...

There is one other possibility to consider for having distinct names
for what is essentially the same language: nationalism. So there is a
separate "Catalan Sign Language" from "Spanish Sign Language." I know
neither, but linguists I know who have been exposed to both *and* who
are from the outside see little, if any difference. It isn't like LSQ
and ASL (or, for that matter, Catalan and Spanish).

Cheers,

Dan.