[sw-l] poem

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Sun Jan 30 21:26:11 UTC 2005

Tini,

Signed English, you mean? Maybe u can call it Canadian Signed English but I
notice its very similar to American Signed English (I know there are many
different forms of Signed English in ASL but still)

There's no such a thing as ESL (English Sign Language) - it's British Sign
Language - even if you take Scotland and Wales away, its still BSL as it’s
the main sign language that is used in England - and Wales got their BSL
from England - and Scotland - big dialects - people argues about whether its
BSL or Scottish Sign Language - but officially its still BSL in Scotland -
but with the development of local research in that field, that may change in
the next few decades...

If youre speaking of "SSE" or "Signed English" yes we have that in England.
And Signed English is discouraged in Northern Ireland at the moment because
we feel that it will not help with Deaf children's English - fingersigning
(very fast shorthand fingerspelling) does help.

Shane