[sw-l] SOFTWARE: Still working on IMWA 1.1

Mon Jan 17 16:51:07 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
January 17, 2005

Bill Reese wrote:
> Fantastic Valerie!!!
> Congratulations!
> I can't wait to see it and to see it used.
> Can unicode development start now?  :-)

Dear SW List and Bill!
Ah...Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but it is a little too early for
us to say it is finished. I was wrong in my previous message...I
THOUGHT I was finished - ha! But we found some inconsistencies that
need to be cleaned up before it is finished...So sorry for jumping the
gun!

So I am still working on it...

Regarding Unicode development, Bill...My work on the IMWA (the
International Movement Writing Alphabet) actually has nothing to do
with Unicode. Even when the IMWA is perfect, I personally would prefer
to let others work on Unicode, since it is a specific programming job
that I am not skilled at. But I am happy to be an advisor to any
Unicode project taken on by other groups.

And no Unicode project has to wait for the IMWA. I would strongly
suggest that the first Unicode for SignWriting should be based on a
smaller symbolset...Which brings up another question...Is there Unicode
for the IPA? the International Phonetic Alphabet? Because the IMWA is
equivalent to the IPA. It is not a symbolset for "everyday use'...But
most Unicode projects are for everyday use, I believe...