[sw-l] RE: [DEAFACADEMICS-L] Definition of a Sign Language interpreter in your country

Antony Daamen adaamen at OPTUSNET.COM.AU
Thu Jan 20 03:34:11 UTC 2005

HI Thierry

I am Antony Daamen (since 22 Nov 2004) an Qualified "Accredited
Para-Professional Interpreter" in australia!!!!! wowowowowo

I am married to a Deaf wife for ten years and have been an volunteer
interpreter for this time.  A paid interpreter I became in 2000, partly
because of my skill, but also because of the lack of interpreters available.
 qualidied interpreters are as follows:There are 2 interpreters in Cairns
(350km north) 5 interpreters in Mackay 400-odd km south and three
intepreters here.  Most of these intepreters have (full time) jobs
as teacher or teacher aid, so not many available for general intepreting.

Far to often, family members or staff that know a teany weeny sign, are
there to interpret!!

Nevermind, I digress.

I wanted to say that Aslia (see website) is also doing research in similar
field, and we have definitions available re: what is the definition of an
interpreters, what are the ethics etc......    http://www.aslia.com.au/index
html

So maybe wise to contact them, and they maybe of help......

Otherwise keep up the good work. and I enjoy following these discussions!!!!

Antony