[sw-l] SignWriting at Gallaudet...

Thu Jan 20 17:36:57 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
January 20, 2005

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa wrote:
> A wee question - is SW being used at all at Gally? Why not ask them to
> go
> "bilingual" proper by having 2 written languages on doors/signs etc ie
> written ASL and written English? It can make SW more desirable to
> learn.

The Gallaudet bookstore orders around 20 SignWriting dictionaries a
year. And I know some individual Deaf students and a few teachers use
SignWriting a bit, judging by the email I receive. But officially, I do
not know of any use of SignWriting within their curriculum. There are a
lot of schools in the US. SignWriting has been used in the Albuquerque
Public Schools for years...so that is our official pilot project in the
US...