[sw-l] Building Dictionaries

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Jan 28 09:06:30 UTC 2005

Val,

Interesting - when I first spotted the International Name Sign dictionary
last year, I thought it must be for this very purpose. In fact it's probably
where I got the idea! But then I looked into it and saw that it was just
people's name signs, so I added my own and left it at that  :)

But yes, if this is what it was intended for then I think it's a good idea
for everyone to add their place names to it too.

Another advantage I thought of is that even if someone doesn't want to build
a dictionary for their language we could perhaps persuade them to help us to
write the name of their country and capital city to put in the International
Name Sign dictionary. Eventually we might be able to publish a simple World
Map in SW so that signers everywhere could learn the signs for every country
and many cities.

Do people have signs for rivers, seas and oceans? I must admit I don't know
any!

Sandy