[sw-l] Writing Mouth Movements in Different Cultures

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 28 15:04:37 UTC 2005

Regarding mouthing: In Norwegian Sign Language, a lot of signs are the same
in the hands, but the mouths will tell the difference. The mouthings are
often borrowed from Norwegian spoken language, but not always. In addition,
there are certain mouth- and facial expressions that serve as adverbials or
adjectivals to the signs, and even some signs that have no hand involment at
all.

Lucky for us Norwegians, our sound system is almost the same as the German
sound system, and so we can adopt most of Stefan's mouthing symbols. We have
not tried to use this for teaching Norwegian spoken language, but I will
start putting the the faces with mouthing into the dictionary as soon as
finish the textbook  (almost there, still ... )

Ingvild