Sunrise query...writing one symbol in front of another

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 5 18:27:27 UTC 2005

Exactly, Valerie.  In my old SW program, I could put one sign behind the other, and expected to be able to do so.  This was my compromise using what keys I could find easily in SignPuddle.  I'd do it as you did, with a broken arrow going behind the flat edge-on hand.  It's quick, easy, and accomplishes the same thing.

What do you think of "night_3", double-dark.  I'm not sure if I could show it clearly with a hidden arrow convention.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
July 5th, 2005

Hello Everyone!
I hope you are enjoying July!

When writing one symbol in front of, or behind the other, there are
two ways to write it...the detailed way, and the simplified way...

1. Detailed spellings use the Surface Symbols, which Charles has
already shown you.

2. Simplified spellings, for everyday use, do not need the Surface
Symbols. Instead, the symbol that is in front has a slight white halo
or border around it so it looks like it is in front of the other
one...Plus the white part of the palm facing for the hand in front
does not show the lines for the arrows going through it...Writing
this by hand is easier than by computer at the moment...A person can
easily become skilled at writing this by hand.

By computer, in SignPuddle, Steve gave us a Place Over Button to do
this for us automatically, but I have to re-enter many of the symbols
in the IMWA to make the button work...so you can see that I am not
done with the IMWA...

So I constructed the sign for Sunrise in SignPuddle from little lines
instead, without using the Place Over button for now...Take a look at
two spellings for Sunrise in ASL...the second one is the simplified
spelling which I just entered...