Sign Writing Conference

Thu Jul 14 00:32:37 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
July 13, 2005

Hello Everyone, and Charles!
Certainly a First American or Brazilian SignWriting Symposium would
be great!

This first European one took at least 6 months to organize. There are
around 7 people on the Organizing Committee. And the reason I believe
it will be a big success, is that it takes place the very next day
after a big conference on Deaf Education in the Netherlands. So
people who are attending the ICED conference in the Netherlands can
easily get to Brussels the next day, which is close by, to attend the
Symposium...so it is piggybacking on another conference. And the
Brussels school was kind enough to donate the location in a
classroom...so all these factors have made it possible.

So if other SignWriting users wanted to create such a Symposium then
they need to contact each other, find a bigger conference, like
perhaps the TISLR 9 in Brazil?...and schedule a Symposium after the
TISLR...December 10 and 11, 2006...maybe some group in Brazil would
want to donate a space for around 30 participants? Just a thought...

Theoretical Issues in Sign Language Research 9 TISLR 9
Florianópolis, SC, BRAZIL - December 06 to 09, 2006
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina

Or do you know of an NAD conference in the US? The American Symposium
could piggyback on the NAD conference...

Val ;-)