Deaf opposition to SW

Kimberley A. Shaw kshaw at WELLESLEY.EDU
Wed Jul 20 11:55:16 UTC 2005

Hello all:
this makes me think of an e-mail encounter I had with somebody Deaf the
other day, who felt that SignWriting is a "dis-service" to the signing
Deaf community ... and does not do justice to such a beautifully visual
method of expression! (???!!)
I am still trying to figure it out; are people afraid that if Sign gets
written down, that it will be taken over by the hearing world?
Puzzled HoH in Boston,
Kim

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 at 12:01 AM