Hello to all...I'm new to this list...

Aisha Shamsuna Ahmed kcx4aas at NOTTINGHAM.EDU.MY
Sat Jul 23 09:06:51 UTC 2005

Hello Adam,

I found what you said on tactile signing really fascinating.  I am
conducting research on incorporating Sign Writing into mobile phones
specifically for text messaging. I told a friend of mine about the
research I am conducting and he mentioned something akin to what you
have said on devices that can be used by touch and vibration. I just
didn't know that it's already existing. I hope to create an application
that would allow people who know Sign Writing to write 'signs' using
mobile phones.

Do you have any tips for me? Or maybe some internet links I may find
useful?

Cheers,
Aisha
PS
I am a postgraduate student studying for a MSc in Information Technology
at the University of Nottingham Malaysia campus.

>>> skoreapv83 at fuse.net 07/23/05 12:01 AM >>>
Val & others,

Many thanks for the acknowledgements.

My visual & tactile systems work very well together, so while I was
learning sign visually, every sign went into my tactile memory
simultaneously. I tried reading tactile signs for the first time on
Wednesday, February 26, 2003 @ 7:12PM & was STUNNED by the increase in
clarity. Also, tactile signing is NOT that different from visual
signing; only a few signs must be adjusted so they're easier to feel.
Usually it's the palm orientation parameter that is changed, but
absolutely ANY parameter of a sign may be modified to make it easier to
feel. Unfortunately, no, I do NOT have a video clip. Wished I had made
one when I was with the Deaf-Blind 2 years ago so you could watch how we
signed into each other's hands AND so everyone else I know could see for
themselves why I feel so LOVED by my Deaf-Blind friends.

Yes, I do believe SignWriting will help, because signing gives me a
sense of security, & writing or speaking words takes it right back away.

Yes, a tactile mobile device IS different from a regular one. One
example is a Braille notetaker, because one does NOT look @ it or listen
to it; he/she touches it & feels it. I think a mobile device with a
haptic screen would be able to display embossed SignWriting, but I'm NOT
sure. (FYI: many people are unfamiliar w/the word haptic; it means
tactile but has the extended meaning of describing a person who has a
strong predilection for his/her sense of touch.)

I did NOT believe SignWriting was that easy to program & was NOT
expecting immediate freedom from words by brand new tactile technology
employing SignWriting.

As for the translation issue, I just mentioned that because here in
Cincinnati the ignorance problem is only growing. I would love to see it
happen someday that signers & non-signers can communicate through an
assistive device until your SignWriting takes over & at least America,
if NOT the whole world, does away with spoken language. More & more
people are deeming spoken language unreliable for communication because
the words have several unrelated meanings & competing sounds are getting
louder & louder everywhere.

I definitely plan on staying up-to-date on the research regarding
SignWriting. Maybe I could submit some helpful information to
researchers to speed up the process of making the technology I'm
imagining.

In the mean time, I'll continue looking for an organization who'd be
willing to buy Braille notetaker for me. Otherwise, I'll have to be out
of communications because my eyes get tired so fast & I have more
trouble speaking & understanding speech than writing words.

Later,

Adam Paul Valerius