Starting to create IWMA symbols in SVG

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Mon Jul 25 17:04:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Steve Slevinski <slevin at signpuddle.net> wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> Good to hear that someone is looking into SVG.  I've researched and
> downloaded some of the same tools, but I've haven't spent the time to
> learn to use them.

Basic use of the tools is simple but fine tuning parameters may have to be
done for every symbol. As I did a "flip-book test" on many of the PNG
files the centre of rotation jumps around and the baseline appears to
shift. Also with the flip-book there appear to be a few symbols that look
identical yet have complete different IWMA numbers.

> You probably know, but only handshapes have consistent and predictable
> rotations 01 thru 16.

Yup, seen that. Also the rotation reserval for the right/left hands.

> Do you think it would be possible to create a unique SVG file for every
> symbol in the IMWA, rather than one large font file?

I plan to do both. Create an SVG file for each basic shape, a single SVG
with those basic shapes, in addition to creating font files (both
OpenType/TrueType and PostScript Type 1). A programmer will have to do the
maths for rotation, reflection and rotation, or just reflection in order
to get all the symbols.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!