Sunrise query...writing one symbol in front of another

Tue Jul 5 17:56:01 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
July 5th, 2005

Hello Everyone!
I hope you are enjoying July!

When writing one symbol in front of, or behind the other, there are
two ways to write it...the detailed way, and the simplified way...

1. Detailed spellings use the Surface Symbols, which Charles has
already shown you.

2. Simplified spellings, for everyday use, do not need the Surface
Symbols. Instead, the symbol that is in front has a slight white halo
or border around it so it looks like it is in front of the other
one...Plus the white part of the palm facing for the hand in front
does not show the lines for the arrows going through it...Writing
this by hand is easier than by computer at the moment...A person can
easily become skilled at writing this by hand.

By computer, in SignPuddle, Steve gave us a Place Over Button to do
this for us automatically, but I have to re-enter many of the symbols
in the IMWA to make the button work...so you can see that I am not
done with the IMWA...

So I constructed the sign for Sunrise in SignPuddle from little lines
instead, without using the Place Over button for now...Take a look at
two spellings for Sunrise in ASL...the second one is the simplified
spelling which I just entered...