Royalty signs query

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 5 19:38:26 UTC 2005

With several of the countries being served on this list being monarchies, what are the signs for "king, queen, prince, princess, baron, baroness, marquis, marchioness, duke, duchess" etc.

ASL has signs for King, Queen, Prince, Princess

KING   QUEEN  PRINCE  PRINCESS

We have, occasionally need to sign BARON, or DUKE, and they'd usually follow the initialized signs above, on first guess.

 BARON  DUKE

In the Society for Creative Anachronism, a group that recreates the Middle Ages (650 to 1650 AD) mostly in Europe, our interpreters (there called signing heralds), have needed signs that simply don't exist in ASL.  To keep the signs simple, we've used the crowns of the various ranks to show SCA ranks.  King, Queen, Prince, and Princess remain the same.  "DUKE" uses the strawberry leaves on the crowns of English dukes, and BARON uses the pearls on the headband, mimed with an "F" hand.  I've added these two to the SignPuddle as Duke-SCA and Baron-SCA.

 Duke-SCA  Baron-SCA

What are the signs in your countries for ranks of nobility.  Surely they are gossiped about, and not just fingerspelled (smile)?

Charles Butler