International Video-conferencing

Sat Jul 9 16:56:50 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
July 9, 2005

Dear SW List Members!
In trying to setup my D-Link videophone, so we can video-conference
at the SignWriting Symposium in Brussels on July 21-22, I got
mesmerized by technology and all of the potentials for video-
conferencing. What an amazing world we live in!

There are two ways for me personally, to teach SignWriting by
videophone.

1. The D-Link i-2-eye videophone seems to be the most universally
known equipment now. If there is anyone who would like to ask me
questions by videophone, and you own a D-Link yourself, then we can
setup an appointment to call each other. Write to me on email if you
wish an appointment.

2. For Mac users on Mac OS X Tiger, a new feature is 3-way video
conferencing built into the operating system of the Mac, if you own
the iSight Video Camera...I just purchased that iSight camera and I
plan to set it up today. So for Mac users, we could have group
learning sessions...to give you an example...I believe that Stuart in
Iowa, and Shane in Northern Ireland, could call me at the same time
and we could have a three-way conversation, seeing each other on our
computer screens in three different windows...wow...

and I bet the Windows operating systems have the same thing?...

Meanwhile, back when I taught in Europe years ago, I had fun
communicating with Deaf people from different signed languages, in an
international way, by having time with a person face to face and we
would get to know each other, and learn each other's signs and then
communication would temporarily be satisfying...Of course we did not
learn each other's real signed languages..but it still was a
wonderful experience. But that kind of international signing takes
time to learn each other's styles, and on a videophone, it is very
different. There is not enough time on the videophone to really sit
and chat for long periods of time and so suddenly we really are
foreigners with foreign signs to each other...This means that using
the videophone within your own country, using a signed language
everyone knows, will be a more satisfying experience...How to bridge
the international gaps on a videophone is hard...That is why I am
glad there will be interpreters at the Symposium who can do
international interpreting on the videophone for us...I just bought a
fancy microphone with hopes the interpreters will be able to hear me
well..

Smile...