changing the name of a sign in Puddle?

Tue Jul 12 18:51:27 UTC 2005

Hey Kim,

SignPuddle 1.0 uses underscores for variants and synonyms.  If there is
already a sign for "Washington-DC", the next sign will be named
"Washington-DC_2".

You could not change the name from "Washington-city" to "Washington DC"
because "Washington DC" already exists.  I should have used a better
error message.

You have 2 options,
- Delete Washington-DC first before you rename Washington-city
- Change Washington-city to Washington-DC_2

If you don't mind, a quick discussion about terms...

*Variants *are different spellings for the same sign.
*Synonyms *are signs that have the same (or nearly the same) meaning.

I believe "Washington-city" and "Washington DC" are synonyms because
they are different signs with the same meaning.

"Washington-city" and "Washington DC" would only be variants if they
described the same movement.

This will be an important distinction for SignPudde 2.0.

-Steve