Deaf opposition to SW

Kimberley A. Shaw kshaw at WELLESLEY.EDU
Wed Jul 20 12:47:40 UTC 2005

Quite true -- but printed English does not fully convey the impact of a
well-done out-loud reading, either!
I can read a Beethoven symphony from the score, for example; this is just
the "raw material" which does not approach the experience of listening to
the work itself. It cannot and should not record every nuance of how a
given set of instruments played it on a certain day, but that gap between
what *can* be recorded on a page and what an artist brings to it when
preparing a performance -- or the fun of reading a novel, and then
imagining for yourself how *you* might act it out or read it out loud ...
this gap is completely "normal" to those who have grown up reading and
speaking. And this is where imagination has room to step in and become
artistry, so it does not seem such a detriment to us.
But I guess it would be an *entirely* new concept to born-Deaf signers,
and rather disconcerting!
Best,
Kim from Boston

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 at 8:30 AM -0500