AW: [sw-l] Deaf opposition to SW

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Sat Jul 23 15:52:53 UTC 2005

Hi Stefan,

Let me illustrate.  Last Christmas, I enjoyed a few signed Christmas
songs that were so beautiful they evoked a sense of angels singing glory
to God.  I sat spellbound by the performance.  There is just no way to
write the full expression given to the songs - from the emphasized
movements, to the looks on the signer's face, the humble inclination of
the head, the closed eyes in deference to God.

While the individual signs of a song can be conveyed in SignWriting, it
takes the artistic rendering of the signs to give the song full
expression.

The born-Deaf's view of this separation of the artistic expression was
the point made by Kimberley Shaw when she said : "... it would be an
*entirely* new concept to born-Deaf signers,and rather disconcerting!"

Bill