ESWO - sign-name

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Sun Jul 31 13:47:56 UTC 2005

I notice that my sign-name is complicated to write - but then again im a
complicated person anyway...i wont be from Belfast if im not complicated ;-)

My sign name is because when I was at college in Belfast (I was 17 then) - I
used to come late into my classes (with interpreters waiting for me) - and
in Belfast, it is considered a sin to keep an interpreter waiting and all
that - but now if there will be a terp, I ll be there on time (at least
attempting to!) - but the sign-name still sticks...and im still late for
other things (just like other Belfast people - for instance last night I
held the BBQ - I told everyone to be here a bit after 5pm - it was just
after 7.30pm when everyone appeared!!! - how Belfast...the only friend who
appeared at 5pm is German, from Germany...!!!)

The deaf community is still fighting over who was the first person that gave
me the sign name - some wanted to think it’s a deaf person who gave me the
sign-name - I said "no, it was Celia Kennedy who gave me this name" - Celia
is a terp who happens to be non-deaf - some deafies once they found out its
"hearing", they tried to change my sign-name.

Politics eh? :D

I think we should learn from Kathleen - her sister got her sign name with a
gorgeous face "painted" on her car boot window - totally beautiful - even my
mates were overly impressed with it! :D - you go, Kathleen!

Shane