[sw-l] SignWriter - feature "gloss" input method

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 1 08:37:27 UTC 2005

I must say I agree with Barbara. In addition, if deaf childeren were to use
glosses, they might think that 1) this is an ok way to write English /
Italian / Norwegian/ ....
2) Sign Language is inferior to English / Italian / Norwegian / ....

As an educator, I know that you should *never*, and I mean *never* leave
annything that is wrong on the blacboard for any period of time, as that
will tend to fix the error in the mind of the learner, rather than correct
it.

When glossing is used in translation / transcription of foreign languages,
it is normal to do so with the actual original text in the original language
on the same page, on the line above the glossing, which is then an
intermideate step in transcripition. It is of course possible to first write
a text in English / Italian / Norwegain / ..., and then gloss it in the
appropriate SL, before translating it to the SL. But then the glosses would
be written signs, not written words ...

Ingvild