[sw-l] Underlining proper names in vertical columns...

Fri Jun 3 04:41:54 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 2, 2005

  James Shepard-Kegl, Esq. wrote:
> In Nicaragua, we still write horizontally along the page and we
> have long
> been underlining proper names.  There is no confusion with pause
> lines as
> for us these are vertical.
>
> Since you are writing in vertical columns, why not just be
> consistent and
> reverse the procedure.  Pause lines are horizontal, and proper name
> markers
> can appear vertical to the right of the sign (or on the left side,
> if you
> prefer.)

What happens if you do not mark proper names? Do your Deaf students
mis-read it? There must be a reason why you started doing that...

I wonder what the teachers in Albuquerque do...I will ask them...

When writing in vertical columns as we do, it would be easy for us to
mark the proper names with color...wouldn't that be better than
adding a line? I would vote to use color as a proper name marker,
when doing vertical columns...

Here is a page from Humpty Dumpty...We could make the proper name
Humpty Dumpty (the first sign in the column) blue to mark it as a
proper name...Do you feel that would make it more readable?