[sw-l] Introducing myself

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Fri Jun 3 12:34:57 UTC 2005

Hello Tomas.
Your family name sounds so funny in Polish :-)) ("flip-flop")
Well, it's good you will cooperate with Honza, Martin and Stepanka. Your team will be strenghtened :-). Maybe you will come to Poland some day and become my student like Stepanka? :-)

Lucyna

  Hi Valerie, and others ;)

  Yes, I know Honza and Martin. I am going to cooperate with them.

  I am going to study the Deaf studies. In the Czech Republic there is a different system of enrolling to an university.
  Here in Czech, you have to do a special exam and if you pass the exam you can study. But sometimes there is a lot of applicants and only those applicants who get the most points are accepted.
  Well, that's not always easy. Deaf studies here in Czech are opened only every second year. In January the university wanted to accept 15 students, but thanks to the number of applicants (144) and their good knowledge of the Deaf culture, they increased this number to 30 students. So I hope this year-class will be very strong and it would help to promote situation of Czech Deafs (because of the well-educated interpretors, teachers and linguists).
  I have done a written part of the exam and next monday I will do a viva (oral). After the viva, I'll know about my acceptation ;)
  There are only two universities which are looking at the deaf people as they are a minority culture with its own language. It is at the Charles University (http://www.cuni.cz/UK-1628.html) where is Deaf studies and Janacek Academy of Music and Performing Arts where is Drama education for the deaf.
  People in the Czech don't know about the SignWriting or they are not interested in it. If I'm accepted I'm going to promote SignWriting at the university.
  I know, there are more applicants interested in SignWriting (For example Stepanka, who was in Poland and she met Lucyna there), so I hope these applicants will be accepted with me ;)

  I am 24 next week on sunday. I work as a software developer.
  I became interested in the Deaf culture year and half ago. I enrolled a czech sign language course. After that I've met a lot of people and became more interested. Honza and I, we made up webpages about the Deaf and about sign language: http://www.ruce.cz/ (sorry, not in english yet)
  Year ago, I went to California School for the Deaf, Fremont for 4 months to volunteer and to see a different culture and to learn a little bit of ASL. And I have been preparing myself for studies since december.

  There is a lot of issues with SignWriting, where I can participate...
  - translation of english materials and manuals about SignWriting
  - application of SignWriting on the czech sign language (creation of a dictionary to show that it is usable)
  - promotion SignWriting in czech sign language linguist's quarters and in the Deaf culture
  - publishing news, cartoons, fairy-tales, books and poetry in SignWriting
  - teaching SignWriting at the schools for the deaf
  - creation of a Czech language learnbook and other learnbooks written in SignWriting

  Well, I would like to work with other people, who are interested in SW... Honza, Martin, Stepanka and others.

  I hope you know more about me now ;o)

  Tomas Klapka