[sw-l] Mundbilder in GebaerdenSchrift - German branch of SignWriting

Fri Jun 3 17:08:16 UTC 2005

Hello Antony and listmembers,

thank  you so much for your input. I really love to read your comment and
your ideas are very, very welcome to make up my mind, to try to figure out
what I am doing, to understand that something is difficult to understand if
people come from a different background.

You know what – I made a print-out of your two messages regarding
“Mundbilder” within SW- documents. And I still try to find out a way to
explain .... myself. (smile)

SignWriting is a most welcome powerful tool in teaching deaf children from
age 2-3 on!!!

More of that I am convinced that even hearing babies would love to play
around with SW-memory cards and toys and picture- dictionaries and so forth.

Now – when we meet deaf children with a sad first phase of their lives –
coming from a hearing background, struggling in a world of not knowing how
to express their needs, feelings, - not knowing anything about spoken
language and grammar, not knowing basic knowledge about SL – well these
children do have a very hard time to start school –

Their hearing peers are much, much better of – and I bet that here and there
a little deaf child gets a label of learning disabled just because the
adults missed to support this kids with a functioning communication system.

Now – these deaf children are in bad need for a communication system – the
best would be to strengthen their dialogic competence as quick as possible
using Sign Language.

Afterwards you may want to add the first “foreign  language” which is the
spoken language of their region –

In my classroom – as you might know – the little deaf children came at age 7
with no communication skills whatsoever!!  ( This is hard to believe) There
family background ( language ) has not been German, but several foreign
countries – so their parents are not even able to communicate in German !
Now these children are expected to follow the same curriculum that has been
worked out for their hearing peers.

Unless I started to translate tons of papers there has not been any
different book or written material – so they go the same book for
mathematics, German ... That has been ridiculous and I felt pretty much
desperate.

So there is a major problem. without any strong language background these
deaf !!! children are expected to learn contents in a spoken language which
has been of no advantage in the past for them.

Starting articulation, German vocabulary, grammar ... I understood that they
are very confused by all these different languages –

Within the past five years we have started from the ground – so there must
be something very valuable in this concept with SignWriting as the keystone.

Interestingly I write more and more Mundbilder for the purpose of learning
new vocabulary! So if I ask the students to show there competence in
translating a signed sentence – they are much better of, if they can look at
the Mundbilder!!  As soon as they are aware of the meaning, or different
meanings of a sign I can write less of them. But nevertheless – and this
seems to be a problem to understand – in Germany we can observe a signing
style – that goes along with a lot of Mundbilder – just as borrowing
additional markers from the oral language in order to make it more easy to
identify a sign.

>From time to time a make a joke. I hide under a bag and sign to my students.
Now they cannot see any facial expression but just my hands. And you are
right! Most of the time They identify this signing without any problem!!!
But it is concentrated on some easy to understand concepts, often used
questions, well known names ...

I do not know whether my German students are the only people in the world
who are asked to write vocabulary-tests and complete translations from SL or
signed German to Spoken Language??

Whenever I see documents with the translation of the signs just  within the
next line ( or underneath) I understand that there is no need to use
Mundbilder (smile)

Well – nevertheless – I understand from daily teaching experience that my
students improve their Literacy and competence in SL and German by
presenting these two documents – written in SinWriting and written in German
–

Please keep on posting your messages – they are very welcome and thanks for
your time and attention –

Stefan ;-)

  _____