[sw-l] Underlining proper names in vertical columns...

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Sat Jun 4 20:13:54 UTC 2005

Val, I've got impression you didn't get what I had meant. I understand yours and Stefan's rule but I don't see any need for such a rule for Polish Sign Language. Instead, I see a need to distinguish sign language synonyms, of which one is for a proper name. Examples attached.
1. My family name means in English "of Long Meadow", so people name me in PJM by a modified sign for LONG. Well, no line is needed here.
2. The sign for a CUP and for my friend Danka Mikulska is the same, because her maiden name was Jakubowska, which sounded similar to "kubek". So, the name Mikulska should be distinguished with the line.

Lucyna

  Hello Lucyna, Stefan, Ingvild - Everyone!
  I don't know what to say, because I am not a teacher nor a linguist. I have no opinion and I do not want to establish rules for writing ASL...I will leave that to those who use ASL. It would be interesting to find out if ASL users would want to underline the proper name AMERICA in the ASL dictionary...

  If you look at the German SignPuddle on the web, Stefan and his team underlined the names of cities and places in their dictionary...so that would mean that America would be underlined too, following those rules...Here is an example from the German SignPuddle...This appears to be a name of a state or place...