[sw-l] Apology

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 16 16:41:25 UTC 2005

All of you, I apologize.

It has taken Valerie's heartfelt words to show me how hypercritical I had become.  This does not make for a good teaching exercise, which is what the SignPuddle is all about.

I've been trying to prepare several different slides showing the many handshapes just used in ASL, and can see that for even the same sign the handshape may differ from person to person, even within the same household, much less the same community.

It is a challenge, and I should not be trying to drive Valerie back to bed to hide.

I have often been challenged by my Deaf students, but WHY is it that way, not this way?  And often we have had to find a way that both of us can live with.

It took us a while to come up with a "closing" symbol in Brazil for a hand that is folding up starting at the little finger, or starting at the thumb, and it still looks backwards in the SW system as Valerie has bravely developed it, though once one examines it, one understands the limitation.

Challenges arise, I need to be more mature.

Apologies to all.

Charles Butler