[sw-l] Spelling of ASL Wallet (retry #3)

Thu Jun 16 16:59:40 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 16, 2005

> Barbara Pennacchi wrote:
> erm, I beg your pardon. I *do* look at IPA in dictionaries. It
> helps me in guessing the correct pronunciation, especially in
> english. :-)

Oh. I bet you do! Of course people refer to the IPA in dictionaries
to see a pronunciation. I was trying to explain, though, that when we
write this email to each other, we are not using the IPA to write
this email...we are using the English alphabet which is different
than the IPA...that is what I meant...that the IPA is used for
detailed writing, and the English alphabet is used for everyday
writing in English..

> Writing is not for technology or for machines, it is ultimately for
> us. It is US (Deaf people and all native signers) that have to feel
> comfortable with one or another spelling, with one or another set
> of rules. Not them, the darn friggin' computers.
>
> Yeah, technology helps us, but it doesn't rule us... And it should
> NEVER rule us.
>
> Sorry -- bad day at work :-)

Oh. Sorry to hear you had a bad day at work.

Meanwhile, I appreciate all your feedback. Without the Deaf staff
members whom I worked with in the 1980s and 1990s (the Deaf Action
Committee for SignWriting - the DAC), we would be writing receptively
right now...and I bet that SignWriting would not be used that much...

So your help and feedback, and everyone's help and feedback, are
greatly needed and welcome....