[sw-l] Welcome Tomas!

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Fri Jun 17 18:13:20 UTC 2005

Tomas,

Welcome to this list :D - and I am glad to see another European joining this
list - more Europeans there are, even better it will be! :D

Have you seen the details about the workshop on SignWriting in Brussels -
its next month?

Shane

From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of Tomáš Klapka
Sent: 03 June 2005 13:25
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Introducing myself

Hi Valerie, and others ;)

Yes, I know Honza and Martin. I am going to cooperate with them.

I am going to study the Deaf studies. In the Czech Republic there is a
different system of enrolling to an university.
Here in Czech, you have to do a special exam and if you pass the exam you
can study. But sometimes there is a lot of applicants and only those
applicants who get the most points are accepted.
Well, that's not always easy. Deaf studies here in Czech are opened only
every second year. In January the university wanted to accept 15 students,
but thanks to the number of applicants (144) and their good knowledge of the
Deaf culture, they increased this number to 30 students. So I hope this
year-class will be very strong and it would help to promote situation of
Czech Deafs (because of the well-educated interpretors, teachers and
linguists).
I have done a written part of the exam and next monday I will do a viva
(oral). After the viva, I'll know about my acceptation ;)
There are only two universities which are looking at the deaf people as they
are a minority culture with its own language. It is at the Charles
University (http://www.cuni.cz/UK-1628.html) where is Deaf studies and
Janacek Academy of Music and Performing Arts where is Drama education for
the deaf.
People in the Czech don't know about the SignWriting or they are not
interested in it. If I'm accepted I'm going to promote SignWriting at the
university.
I know, there are more applicants interested in SignWriting (For example
Stepanka, who was in Poland and she met Lucyna there), so I hope these
applicants will be accepted with me ;)

I am 24 next week on sunday. I work as a software developer.
I became interested in the Deaf culture year and half ago. I enrolled a
czech sign language course. After that I've met a lot of people and became
more interested. Honza and I, we made up webpages about the Deaf and about
sign language: http://www.ruce.cz/ (sorry, not in english yet)
Year ago, I went to California School for the Deaf, Fremont for 4 months to
volunteer and to see a different culture and to learn a little bit of ASL.
And I have been preparing myself for studies since december.

There is a lot of issues with SignWriting, where I can participate...
- translation of english materials and manuals about SignWriting
- application of SignWriting on the czech sign language (creation of a
dictionary to show that it is usable)
- promotion SignWriting in czech sign language linguist's quarters and in
the Deaf culture
- publishing news, cartoons, fairy-tales, books and poetry in SignWriting
- teaching SignWriting at the schools for the deaf
- creation of a Czech language learnbook and other learnbooks written in
SignWriting

Well, I would like to work with other people, who are interested in SW...
Honza, Martin, Stepanka and others.

I hope you know more about me now ;o)

Tomas Klapka

Valerie Sutton wrote:
SignWriting List
June 2, 2005

Tomáš Klapka wrote:
I have just enrolled czech deaf studies here in Prague and I will study
these issues more.

Hello Tomas!
Welcome to the SignWriting List. We have been talking so much about other
things, and sometimes things get a little scattered with many ideas being
thrown around...so before we get confused again...smile...I want you to know
we are happy to have so many people from the Czech Republic on the
SignWriting List. I assume you know the others who are adding signs to the
Czech SignPuddle on the web? Have you tried to add a few signs there?

Czech Sign language
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-CZ

If not, I can teach you how if you would like...

Tell us a little about yourself? You are a student of Deaf studies? Did you
hear about SignWriting in your class?

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org