[sw-l] question on sign notation

Sun Jun 19 15:02:19 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 19, 2005

> Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod in French-Switzerland wrote:
> Val... can you tell me if this sign seems correct to you... the
> right hand
> starts in a A handshape near the wrinkle of the palm of the left
> hand.....
> all fingers open one after the other starting with the baby
> finger... the
> movement is a half circle... on the way down all finger close one
> after the
> other (baby finger stars closing first)and end in a S handshape on the
> fingers of the left hand (this left hand doesn't move and palm is
> orienterd
> toward the cieling...)
>
> I've tried to rewrite this sign for the Association romande des
> interprètes
> de langue des signes (ARILS) (association of the swiss french sign
> language
> interpreters...) but I'm not sur about the finger-opening/closing
> symbols...
>  should I use the symbol I chose or others... what's you point of
> view ??

------------------------

Hello Anny and Everyone!
Thank you for this question. I had been meaning to re-visit this
sign, but then it got away from me ;-)

I would write less detail, for everyday use. The Finger opening and
closing symbols, that close in a sequence one by one by one...are
very detailed symbols, and it may be that for everyday use it is too
much information. It depends on the purpose of your writing. If you
were doing research on finger-bends in signed languages, these
symbols, on a phonetic level, would be useful...but since you are
writing for everyday use...I think we could simplifiy the writing a
little...let me explain better next message...