[sw-l] Detailed and Simplified Entries in Dictionaries

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Sun Jun 19 18:27:19 UTC 2005

Val,

I'm just chiming in here a little bit to reinforce the idea of a
dictionary with a regular spelling and then the detailed pronunciation
of it. I'm reminded of the special symbols you made a while back that
were designed specifically to aid in that.  What would be a prototypical
dictionary entry in Signwriting that would be similar to a spoken
language one?   For instance, the following is an entry in an english
dictionary for "pronunciation."   How could this be done in SignWriting?

Main Entry: pro·nun·ci·a·tion
Pronunciation: pr&-"n&n(t)-sE-'A-sh&n also ÷-"naun(t)-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English pronunciacion, from Middle French
prononciation, from Latin pronuntiation-, pronuntiatio, from pronuntiare
: the act or manner of pronouncing something
- pro·nun·ci·a·tion·al  /-shn&l, -sh&-n&l/ adjective

Bill