[sw-l] SW system type... alphabetic vs. others ( pictographic, ideographic, logographic)

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Tue Jun 21 18:19:07 UTC 2005

Of all the terms I have seen, I prefer to use the term featural. Why?
It is a term that linguists already use for the only other writing
system that shares a similarity with SW. SW is a featural writing
system because it focuses on writing the features.  Because spoken
language articulators are hidden, it is more difficult to have a
featural writing system for spoken languages. That is why we haven't
seen more of those for spoken language.

But SW (and really all the other notation systems for sign languages)
are all featural writing systems because we are concerned with writing
all the features of the sign.  Each system has strengths and weaknesses
in how it transcribes those features. Because sign language
articulators are all visible, I would think that SL writing systems
will tend to be featural.  How those features are represented may vary
from writing system to writing system.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Stuart