[sw-l] Use of symbols in Sign Bank

Wed Jun 22 17:19:07 UTC 2005

Hi Charles,

I'm having trouble following the SSS ID numbers you are using.

I believe you should be using 01-05-018-01 rather than 01-005-18.
Category and Group both use 2 numbers.  The Symbol position uses 3
numbers.  I've included the Variaiton position for clarity.

If we want to include the "Shaddai" handshape in group 01-05, we can add
it at the end of the group or as a variation of an existing symbol.
Since you've already identified symbol 01-05-018-01 as the prime symbol,
adding the new symbol as a variation is straight forward.  The new
symbol would have the SSS ID number of 01-05-018-02.  Very easy and
sorting still makes sense.

The SSS ID numbers of the IMWA do not need to change for new symbols.
Renumbering is a bad word.

About symbols 01-01-007-01 and 01-01-008-01...  This is a complex topic
that only affects a very few handshapes.  In SignWriting, we learn that
there are 6 palm facings, 3 on the horizontal plane and 3 on the
verticle plane.  But this is not true.  There are actually 10 palm
facings. (because of diagonals).  Using 6 palm facings is a
simplification that makes SignWriting easier to use.  Symbols
01-01-007-01 and 01-01-008-01 do share 2 palm facings, but each has 4
distinct and original palm facings each.  Look at the detailed fills and
rotations for these symbols and notice the bend of the fingers.

-Steve