[sw-l] challenge for programmers - SSS-ID mapping onto Unicode

Thu Jun 23 03:08:03 UTC 2005

Hi Tomas,

Rotation is needed in the IMWA because rotation doesn't always mean
rotation.  Load up SignMaker and drop a face, then press rotate.

Or try the contact symbol and press rotate.

Rotation only means mathematical rotation with handshapes and some arrows.

The more we discuss this, the less value I see in Unicode.  If sorting
and special commands (Variations, Mirror, Fills, and Rotations) can only
be done with the SSS ID numbers, what value does Unicode offer?

There may be a psychological factor, but if someone doesn't accept sign
language or SignWriting to start with, using the term Unicode isn't
going to convince them of anything.

Even once the IMWA is encoded into Unicode, none of the existing word
processors will be able to properly use the symbols to create signs.
Word processors use Unicode character by character in a linear
sequence.  SignWriting uses symbols in space.  Of course we will not
encode the XY coordinates in Unicode, but the symbols only become signs
once we put the symbols in space using XY coordinates.

-Steve