[sw-l] Use of symbols in Sign Bank

Thu Jun 23 14:56:26 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 23, 2005

On Jun 22, 2005, at 6:37 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
This brings up a point.  If we have a set "order" for the SSS, what
happens when a new handshape, by logic, really ought to be put
"between" two other signs that are already in the system, like the
"Shaddai" sign?  If the SSS is to be logical, we'd need to renumber
the signs constantly any time a new handshape is found that fits
between two handshapes already in the catalogue, like this particular
handshape, the 01-005-18a, rather than as 01-005-51, which shows
order of discovery, not logical placement.

We do not have to re-number anything, Charles. We already worked out
a way to take care of new symbols. It is called a Variation Number,
and that is the way we squeeze symbols in-between each other, is by
maing them another variation...Val ;-)