[sw-l] IMWA & Language-Specific Symbolsets

Thu Jun 23 15:37:24 UTC 2005

> On Jun 22, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I think your specific symbol set is a good idea.  However, from
> what I understand about Unicode and its philosophy, they do not
> group things by language, but by writing system.  For example, even
> though most European languages use the Latin alphabet plus a
> certain range of diacritic markings, there is only one encoding for
> all of those symbols. In other words, Unicode is a repository of
> symbols that any language can utilize to express itself and
> everyone knows what symbol you are talking about. If my
> understanding is correct, it would be better as far as Unicode is
> concerned to have the whole IMWA.

OK. So there is Unicode for the Roman Alphabet. But that does not
include Musical Notes. The Unicode for Musical Notes is a separate
Unicode, right?

So you could argue that we have subsets of the International Movement
Writing Alphabet...

International SignWriting Alphabet
International DanceWriting Alphabet
etc...

and those each could have their own Unicode?

We already got approval from the Unicode committee to place
SignWriting in Unicode, and DanceWriting was not included in that
acceptance...so it could be possible...