challenge for programmers

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Mon Jun 27 09:03:26 UTC 2005

Hi Val!

No, this happens because Firefox support for SVG is incomplete -
although it's on its way, as you can see from the results you got.

What you see should be very colourful and perfect! You would need to use
IE with the Adobe SVG (or similar) plugin, as I explained:

1. Download the Adobe SVG viewer plugin from http://www.adobe.com/svg/
2. Open Internet Explorer, Netscape or Mozilla browser (not Firefox)
3. Enter the URL of the SVG file to be viewed:
http://bsltext.org/easter/happyeaster.svg
4. Note the remarkable high quality of the graphics  :)
5. Use your mouse right-click to get a context menu and play with some
of the functionality.
6. If you're a programmer, read the source file to see how it was done.

To my mind, this is a really good way of doing high-quality Web graphics
with SignWriting. The SignWriting comes under CSS stylesheet control,
can be transformed using XSLT, could be animated, and the method can be
adapted for use with such popular plugins as Macromedia Flash. I
originally did this to explore the possibility of presenting better
quality graphics on my bsltext website - I now know it can be done, it's
just a matter of finding the time and money  :)

Sandy