PROGRAMMING ISSUES: symbol x, y coordinates in sign, ranges

Mon Jun 27 15:36:54 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 27, 2005

Tomas -
I am no expert on the programming side of the x-y coordinate issues,
however, I do know that some programs are accomplishing it
beautifully...For example, in this paper on the web, Antonio Carlos
discusses x-y coordinates in relation to SWML and SVG:

http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/swml/swml01.html

plus these two papers...

SignMatching with x-y coordinates:
http://signwriting.org/forums/software/lisbon/lisbon03.html

Unicode related project in France
http://signwriting.org/forums/software/lisbon/lisbon09.html

And obviously SignPuddle is handling the x-y coordinates well...

Regarding TrueType fonts and the x-y coordinates, I assumed that the
True Type would have to be Unicode approved first, before we could
assess that issue.

Some of Stefan's fonts have complete signs on one key...so those rare
fonts would not have an x-y coordinate issue!

But the individual symbols have to be on separate keys, to create
signs...So the typist can type all variations of each sign...

Right now, with the fingerspelling fonts, we open a graphics program
and use a mouse to push the symbols around ;-))

Val ;-)