[sw-l] Underlining proper names in vertical columns...

Sat Jun 4 14:37:27 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 4, 2005

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I agree that some kind of indication would be helpful.  The side
> underline looks like a good solution to me but if it conflicts with
> another symbol, that wouldn't be good. I realize the underlining
> works well for Stefan and James and they will not want to change
> their system (which is fine). But if we had to make a formal symbol
> that wouldn't conflict with other symbols .... Hmmm .... here are
> some brainstorms ... no one has to like any of them ;)
>
> - short wavy vertical line (like what word processors use for
> misspellings)?
> - some kind of small symbol to be used like tension or fast to show
> this kind of thing? .... maybe like a circle with a < or > inside?
> It could be beside, on top, or below the sign.
> - Use the quote marks for name indication and not as much for
> quotations or use an "underlined" quote mark for names?
> - Employ one of the other symbols for quotes from other language
> writing systems?

Hello Stuart!
I spoke on the telephone with Steve and Dianne Parkhurst last night.
They are in North Dakota at Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) and
they start teaching a course for SIL on June 6th. They plan to use
SignPuddle 1.0 in their course for a Mexican Sign Language
Dictionary...So we will create a Mexican SignPuddle for them....

They told me that you are in North Dakota too, Stuart! And that you
had suggested to the Parkhursts to use SignPuddle...Thank you for
that...I bet you will end up teaching some of the course related to
computers ;-)

Regarding the vertical version of sign-capitalization, I will work on
that. I will take one of our Goldilocks documents, and do a side-line
for the proper name Goldilocks throughout the document and show it to
you to see what you think...and I can try some of your other options
above, and we can all make the decision together -

Thanks for your input, Stuart!

And enjoy your course at SIL!