[sw-l] Underlining proper names in vertical columns...

Sat Jun 4 19:45:45 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 4, 2005

Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote:
> I think it is not the issue of capitalization but proper names
> themselves. My opinion is that underlining signs is necessary only
> when the sign may be mixed up with common nouns signed in the same
> way. A good example is the sign (Flemish?) for Vienna, which is the
> same as for wenen (to cry) in Dutch. So, the sign for Vienna should
> be underlined. But I think that, for example, there is no need in
> ASL to underline the proper name "America"...

Hello Lucyna, Stefan, Ingvild - Everyone!
I don't know what to say, because I am not a teacher nor a linguist.
I have no opinion and I do not want to establish rules for writing
ASL...I will leave that to those who use ASL. It would be interesting
to find out if ASL users would want to underline the proper name
AMERICA in the ASL dictionary...

If you look at the German SignPuddle on the web, Stefan and his team
underlined the names of cities and places in their dictionary...so
that would mean that America would be underlined too, following those
rules...Here is an example from the German SignPuddle...This appears
to be a name of a state or place...