[sw-l] translatins the name of SignWriting

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Thu Jun 9 18:48:42 UTC 2005

> Hello Lucyna and Everyone -
> I think your decision to keep the name in English for now, is a wise
> decision. It helps the rest of the world know what you are talking
> about...but if later, the Deaf Community wants to translate into  Polish
> spoken language, you can always do that later...This decision  is "for
> now" and is not solid like stone!

Yes, that's a good decision and I think the Deaf Community won't change it.

> And I know about your cases in your spoken language. And of course,  since
> SignWriting is an English word, it must look weird with your  cases
> attached after the English word...But isn't that true for other  foreign
> words that you use within the Polish spoken language? Surely  you must
> have other foregin words used daily. For example, how do you  say the name
> Microsoft in Polish spoken language? Do you translate  the word Microsoft?
> I doubt it. And I bet it seemed weird in the  beginning, but overtime you
> probably have gotten used to the word  Microsoft in Polish? And how do you
> say my last name...Sutton...in  Polish? You can't translate it, right? So
> your professor needs to see  the name SignWriting as proper name with no
> translation..at least for  now!
>
> Val ;-)

Yes, foreign words inflect in Polish, however, we have some exceptions, e.g.
women's names that are nouns (Sutton does not inflect, my name is an
adjective, so it inflects). I'll will discuss the translation question with
my professor again, I'll tell him all my pros for not translating :-).

Lucyna