[sw-l] New Comer!!

eyasu tamene eyasuh at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 10 09:38:15 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I am Eyasu Hailu, Ethiopian, MA student at Addis Ababa University.  Each day an idea comes to my mind.  Ethiopia is a multilingual, multicultural country. Out of >80 languages of the country Ethiopian Sign language is one of the little considired language. Researchers are focusing only on the verbal langages.

The Ethiopian Deaf People, esp. children, are learning together with the hearing ones which led them to a serious interrelated socital, political, economic problems.  Although they have their own language and culture, it looks less emphasised. I have read im many countries of the world the Deaf people are proud of their language.  What I am looking is the other way round.

I was thinking to happen Sign Writing real to my country also.  I need to share your views.  If your country is one of the users of Sign Writing, did you have any preconditions to start the activity?

With lots of thanks
Eyasu Hailu