[sw-l] Spelling of ASL Wallet (retry #3)

Thu Jun 16 16:51:00 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 16, 2005

> On Jun 16, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Barbara Pennacchi wrote:
> Actually, you smooshed a lot of writing systems'evolution into a
> overly simplified narrative for children. But in one thing you were
> right: all the changes to the various writing symbols in the
> various writing systems were made by people across time and space,
> driven by various needs (both personal and technical) that can
> ultimately be resumed into "I feel it is better/easier this way".

Hello Barbara -
Great to hear from you...

Exactly. That was what I was trying to say. And the same has
happened, to a certain extent, in SignWriting too...We used to write
Receptively, for example, because we were transcribing from video and
that was the way it looked...but then over time, when people really
started to write daily with SignWriting, rather than transcribing,
they requested that we change to Expressive and this was a big
transition...all of our documents had to be changed! smile...So both
Charles and I had to live through that transition and for some people
who had gotten used to writing receptively, it was hard to change to
expressive... Val ;-)