[sw-l] question on sign notation

Sun Jun 19 16:25:53 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 19, 2005

Regarding the detailed finger closing one by one... Let me first
share with you, the sign for BEAUTIFUL in ASL (see attached).

The first two spellings do not include the detailed closing of the
fingers. They are simplified spellings. They show the beginning and
ending positions, and ignore the fact that each finger closes one by
one in-between...People read these spellings correctly all the time,
and do not seem to need all that detail, because they know the sign
anyway...

The last two spellings show great detail. The spellings show which
finger bends first, second, third, fourth and fifth, plus if the bend
in the finger is coming from the middle joint or the knuckle joint.

I am guessing that Anny's sign, from French-Switzerland, is similar
to the sign for BEAUTIFUL in ASL. Is that not true,
Anny? ...continued next message...